Who Needs a Study Permit

Who Needs a Study Permit

Most foreign students require a study permit to study in Canada. However, in some cases, there are some exceptions: 

» If you wish to study in a short-term course or program:
You do not need a Study Permit if you are planning to take a course or program in Canada with a duration of six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

» If you are a minor child already in Canada:
You do not need a Study Permit if you are a minor child already in Canada, and your parents are not "visitors" in Canada. For details, see Minor Children Studying in Canada.

» Foreign representatives to Canada:
If you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, you do not need a Study Permit to study.

Having a study permit has numerous benefits, some of them being:

» apply to renew your Study Permit from within Canada, if you decide to continue studying in Canada; and

» work part-time on campus at the college or university at which you are registered as a full-time student.

Immigration Services

  • Immigration Refusals & Appeals
  • Apply for Permanent Residence
  • Business Immigration to Canada
  • Study, Visit & Work in Canada
  • Spouse/Family Sponsorships

Fatal error: Class 'FeedsHTTPCache' not found in /home/passport/public_html/sites/all/modules/feeds/feeds.module on line 82